Friday, September 7, 2012

the journey

It's that time of year again.... fall is in the air and the kids are returning to school.

I've had mixed emotions as another school year is about to begin.  After teaching for 10 years, it's just in your blood, a part of me will always be a teacher. I look fondly back at my years in the classroom and a part of me craves that.

found this on pinterest, 
but couldn't find it's creator to credit :-(


On the other hand, I feel incredibly lucky to be giving my artistic dreams a REAL go. This is an opportunity of a lifetime and I am blessed by the support of my husband, family and friends. Figuring out who I am as an artist is not an easy task, and part of the battle right now is finding the strength to be patient with myself.  I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist and I can be very hard on myself. I want things to be perfect right off the bat, and I'm having to release those expectations for myself. I'm trying to let the process unfold, and I find that one tiny step always moves me in the forward direction, even if I decide to change something later. The emotional roller coaster that ensues during this process is frustrating, and yet incredibly rewarding. I work so hard on a piece for hours and days, only to look at it later and decide I hate it. Then moments of clarity move me through to a place where I find I'm digging deep and revealing 'the good stuff' I had buried somewhere inside me. I think the more I'm able to get in touch with that part of me the more I'll feel that artistic flow. It's going to take time though, time and practice...and I have to be okay with that. Be in the moment, learn from it, and trust in my choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment