Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Growth

I had a blast these last five weeks in the Lilla Rogers Make Art That Sells on-line class! As a final project we made a hyper-lush piece that focused on something we love. 

I decided to go with trees and I had a lot of fun playing with color. I was really impressed with everyone's work, and am happy with my results as well. This is pretty lush for me....



I started off with a layer of newspaper and thicker card stock pieces placed at random around the canvas. I made a small mock-up with a bunch of my sketches and used an inspiration book of mine to decide on the different styles of trees to add.

laying it all out to start sketching on the canvas


All the trees/branches were painted on except for the red pine trees. I cut those out of card stock and applied them with a matte medium. 


 lots texture in my blue skyline of trees

had a lot of fun distressing the piece at the end

more distressing

This painting definitely ended up with a very aged/distressed look by the end. I love it's sense of being 
worn-in and well-loved vs. worn-out. Like it's a thought or a memory of mine that's been lingering around awhile. 

My super awesome husband also just surprised me with a spot in Justin Bua's new online art classes too! (We love his art and have a print of El Guitarrista hanging in our living room). Who knows what new fun things I'll learn there!



No comments:

Post a Comment