Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Broken and Beautiful


I started a painting before we left for the Outer Banks that revolved around shells. I've had a bowl of shells we've collected sitting on my desk, and Warren has loved dumping it out for the past couple of weeks. We go through them as we pick them up, and it got me thinking. I remember back when I was little I thought that only perfect shells were worth keeping. On vacation I even bought a few 'perfect shells' from the gift shop (probably Made in China).  Well those shells are long gone now, and all I have is this collection of mostly broken ones, but I love them. Their imperfections are their charm, especially the ones that reveal more of  the areas inside. Their edges have been worn smooth by the battering surf. And what may have been brilliant colors have been faded by the sun. It's funny how your perceptions change over time. This cracked old conch shell is more beautiful to me than a perfect one could be.

Broken and Beautiful 
24" x 24" acrylic and oil pastel on wood

I took some great photographs of pelicans this trip which I enjoyed referencing as I put my final touches on them. I'd never seen so many pelicans together, we saw groups of up to forty birds at a time. I wonder if it's the time of year....we'd always see countless seagulls and the occasional pelican. But this trip it was quite the opposite. 


This was actually quite special because we always think of my Paw-Paw as a lone pelican flying above watching over all of us. And on this trip my dad, along with his siblings were planning on spreading some of Paw-Paw's ashes. The tradition of spending time in the Outer Banks started with my grandfather and his young family, camping out in Ocracoke. 
I wasn't planning on being a part of their moment, but I changed my mind at the last minute. And I'm glad that I did. It was special, and wonderful to have honored his life in one of his favorite places on earth. 

So, as you can imagine, I was quite inspired to come home and finish the painting I'd started. This painting has actually gone through countless layers as I've changed directions with it many, many, MANY times. I started it back in my workshop with Jesse Reno in the beginning of June and now it finally feels right. It feels settled, it feels balanced, it feels like me. Yay.

Here are a couple close-ups....




1 comment:

  1. Perhaps the pelicans came just for your Paw-Paw... such a special time... so glad you decided to be there when his ashes were spread in this special place. Love, Aunt Monty

    ReplyDelete