Thursday, August 16, 2012

What Might Have Been Lost


I finally took a little time and framed out one of my completed pieces from my Jesse Reno workshop. I added a nice 1.5 inch birch edge to the entire board and decided to leave it unpainted. I like how it adds to the rawness of the painting. 

I decided to hang it up directly over my desk as a reminder to myself as I paint. When I worked on this painting earlier this summer in Portland, I had a huge breakthrough. An emotional breakthrough, a moment where I truly felt like I was at the right place at the right moment in my life. It was powerful, and this painting is that reminder of that experience. I felt like I was letting go and allowing myself to be more free with my art and it was giving back to me in ways I can't even explain.


"What Might Have Been Lost"
24 x 24 mixed media on wood
acrylic, oil pastel, pencil

 Through Jesse's prompts and lessons during that workshop I let a lot out in this painting. Jesse likes to record some of his thoughts and meaning of his paintings as he's working on them. I decided to share mine with you as well. I'd like for you to interpret it for yourself, but for me it was:

honest, indecisive
lost and broken
feeling chained to old choices
seeking wisdom, seeing clearer with her third eye
music and tears
two bodies become one
they are all connected
the moon will rise again




For those of you who are Bon Iver fans, you might notice the references to a couple of their songs. The song, "re: Stacks" instigated my epiphany and the onslaught of tears. But a phrase from another one of their songs, "what might have been lost," felt like it was the perfect name for this painting.  

Art has the wonderful ability to challenge you, inspire you, and share your innermost thoughts.  This painting speaks to me about a lot of things, and as I continue to persevere in discovering myself as an artist, I will look up and be reminded to...... let go.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Look at all that "might have been lost" if you hadn't been to Jesse's workshop! Seeing this painting here evokes a few emotions from me too, because I was right there next to you while you painted this awesome piece. I saw it evolve and develop. With so much meaning, so many details.

    I like it that you share the words imprinted in the process; it's great to read that. As I see the progression from one to the next on your list, I recognize your growth, too. Because, in so many ways, this painting is you. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete