Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Art and a whole lotta Soul



Wow, where do I even begin?

I’ve been down in Virginia Beach for the last four days attending my very first art retreat, Art and Soul.  And WOW, did I learn a lot! Not just about different techniques and projects, but about myself. It cracked me open in ways I wouldn’t have been able to do on my own. It pushed me to try new techniques and look at things differently. It opened me up to the possibilities around me, making mistakes and turning them into something I’m proud of. My instructors were amazing and passionate as they guided us all along their path towards approaching art. I learned a ton about sculpture, photography and acrylic painting, mediums that I don’t spend a lot of time dabbling in.

It took some time to wind down from the entire trip. It was my first time being away from Warren and stepping away from my mommy role. It was a wonderful time for reflection, and I came home with a renewed appreciation for my family and my life. I was so excited about everything that transpired the last few days that I had a huge show-and-tell and story time with Brandon last night and stayed up way too late! When I saw Warren this morning he looked bigger to me and seemed a little more grown up. He and his daddy had some very special times together these past few days and I could just feel the connection between them was even stronger. So everyone in the family grew a little bit from this experience!!

In addition to learning a lot about art, I also discovered that I’m surrounded by a community of supportive and caring women. I am inspired by the conversations we had and the insight you all shared. Ladies, it was an absolute pleasure spending time with you these past few days. Thank you for letting me into your lives and sharing all the things that make you YOU.  

It is my hope that we all continue to dive into the projects that excite and inspire us. I truly believe that embracing our creativity makes us stronger women and that positive energy can only spill over into all of the other aspects of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment