Thursday, June 28, 2012

Captive

A wonderful opportunity from an amazingly talented and dear friend


A friend of mine just happened to write one of the most powerful books I've read in a LONG time. I was completely flattered when he asked if I'd be interested in creating artwork for the cover. (I think he had more confidence in me than I had in myself at the start of this project). I was excited and anxious about this opportunity, and I wanted the artwork to be the perfect fit for this novel because I truly believe in it. 

I ended up creating several different pieces in reaction to the novel, but the first one really epitomized my emotional reaction to the book...and really felt like ART. It is SO different from some of the recent things I've done, and in a way it seems like it has freed me in an artistic way. I created it without an endpoint in mind, without over-thinking it, letting the painting unfold as I moved from one thing to the next. 

I am so proud of this painting and couldn't be more excited to share it with everyone as the cover of such an amazing book.
It's a thrilling page-turner and one that will keep you thinking long after you've finished it.
It's a fantastic read and I know you'll love it just as much as I did! 



The original artwork for the cover

Check it out on Amazon!

Captive by Timothy Allen Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment