Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Magic in the Sand

There is just something special about getting sand between your toes....when I was growing up in Alaska we would take trips out to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and being at the beach was such an exotic treat. We SO looked forward to dipping our toes into water where you didn't require wet suits, overindulging in the sun, and munching on snow cones as they dripped down our hands. Now, even though I live close to the coast, the beach has never lost that magic for me. 



Magic in the Sand 8x10 Print
available here

As the summer draws near I was inspired to create this mixed-media painting of the starfish and I loved it so much that it became a part of a collection of five different beach images. I've really enjoyed the layering that's involved in this technique. One of my favorite things to incorporate into my recent paintings has been maps. 

When I think about it, maps have been a special part of my life growing up. We'd follow them on our outdoor and road trip adventures. I can remember watching my parents, grandpa and relatives review and schedule our route as we planned the next part of our travels (sometimes the planning of the trips could be just as fun as the actual trips themselves).

I've been collecting and keeping maps from all the National Geographic Magazine subscriptions my grandfather annually gifted to us. He loved that magazine and his collection dated WAY back (I have the issue from the month and year I was born). Adding the maps to my paintings, has in a way let me honor my Paw-Paw.  Even though he has past on I feel like a little bit of him lives on in these images, even if I'm the only one who knows it's there.


A Cascade of Memories 8x10 Print
available here

1 comment:

  1. Going to the beach is always a wonderful experience! Your PAW-PAW has smiled with your use of the maps-great way to incorporate an important part of you.
    Another site for you to check out- andreawalford.com
    I've followed her blog because of her StampinUp cards and projects but she has documented some of her mixed media interest in the past year - always nice to see what others do :)

    ReplyDelete